Orthodontics for Teens
You've just heard the three words that every teen dreads: “YOU NEED BRACES!”
Braces! What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable and even more stylish than in the past.
How long will I have to wear braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on two key factors:
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different patients react to treatments differently, so while it may take one patient only 12 months to complete their treatment, it may take another patient 24 months. Treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- YOU! — Your willingness to use the appliances your orthodontist gives you plays a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
What can I eat while wearing braces?
You've probably heard from your parents, friends, and even your orthodontist, the long list of foods and beverages that you should avoid while wearing braces. While it may seem like you're giving up a lot, it is important to avoid eating certain foods because they can lead to broken braces which can increase treatment time. Here's a quick list of foods to avoid while wearing braces.
Examples of foods to avoid while wearing braces
- Chewy foods — licorice, gummy candies
- Crunchy foods — popcorn kernels, ice, raw carrot
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, chicken wings - these foods should be cut up before eating
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today, braces make it easy to look good and feel good!