Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens. In fact, the Canadian Association of Orthodontists cites that one in five orthodontic patients is an adult. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment
- A bad bite (malocclusion) causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic and customized to meet your needs.
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference between adults and children is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to correct the bite. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received partial orthodontic treatment as a child or teen. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthier teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment.